Occupational TherapyWe Offer Best & Quality Therapy Services In Singapore!
What Is Occupational Therapy?
Many people stumbled upon the term ‘Occupational Therapy’ or OT in short. What exactly is Occupational therapy and what does a pediatric occupational therapist do?
Occupational Therapy is a clinical intervention programme that designed to help the patients to improve the way their nervous system functions. This is done through assessment, evaluation, treatment, and management of a variety of neurological, mental, skeletal, sensory and emotional issues.
Pediatric occupational therapy helps children with special needs to develop the basic underlying skills such as sensory awareness, motor & cognitive skills which are necessary for learning and performing daily activities tasks. It also addresses social and behavioral skills to help the child to achieve the sense of accomplishment and self-esteem.
We see children with the following specific conditions:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Neurological conditions such as traumatic brain injury, epilepsy, ADHD
- Global Developmental Delay
- Genetic Disorders eg Down Syndrome, Williams Syndrome
- Developmental Coordination Disorder/Dyspraxia
- Dysgraphia/handwriting difficulties
- Learning difficulties such as Dyslexia in English/Chinese language, dyscalculia
- Motor coordination difficulties
- Attention & behavioral problem
- Emotional & mental issue eg anxiety disorder, schizophrenia
- Learning issue eg poor attention, poor memory
- Auditory processing difficulties
- Visual perceptual difficulties
- Difficulties in sensory processing
Red Flags suggesting a need for an Occupational Therapy Assessment
A lack of a Hand Preference (by age of 4 years old)
Uses One Hand for Tasks that Require Both Hands.
Poor Balance, appearing clumsy & messy, uncoordinated in movement.
Developmental Delay in Gross and Fine Motor Skills.
Frequent tripping over objects
Limited Play Skills and Lack of Age-appropriate Social Skills.
Difficulty in copying (age 5) or in a simple drawing
Difficulty in finding things, very disorganised
Difficulty in regulating emotion, frequent tantrum
Required repeated verbal or visual instruction
Has Short Attention Span and Cannot Remain Seated to Complete Tasks.
Slow development /delay in Speech Development (Children with speech delay is usually accompanied by motor delay).
What Kinds of treatment Programmes do our Occupational Therapists Provide?
In Charis Therapy Centre, we’ll work very closely with you and your child. First, our occupational therapist will provide for an assessment of your child’s strengths and challenges in his activities of daily living. With the evaluation in mind, therapeutic goals will be set and an individualised therapy intervention will be customised to the needs of the child.
Types of Intervention programmes
- Handwriting programme to address fine motor and perceptual issues.
- Cognitive & perceptual training programme to work on memory, sequencing, pattern recognition, visual-spatial, organising information, planning issues.
- Social and play skill training for children who lack play skill or has poor social awareness and emotional regulation. Rehearsal of social behaviors, modeling would be used.
- Motor skill training for children with dyspraxia, poor gross & fine motor skill or delay in motor development.
- Sensory integration and listening programme for children with sensory & auditory processing issues.
- Management of feeding difficulties. This programme may combine clinic with the Speech therapist.
- Expressive play therapy and counseling for children with emotional issues
The desired outcome of the individualised treatment is to help the child to learn to be as independent as possible. This can range from improving physical abilities so the child can participate in self-care to helping the child be prepared to perform school-related activities.
The nature of the therapy will depend on your child’s needs, how quickly he or she learns new skills and the goals of the family.
Periodic functional evaluation of the overall therapy programme and expectation will be revisited from time to time as the child progresses.
Our Specialised Programs
We provide customised intervention programmes for the child. We have many specialised programmes, solely customise to tailor to your child’s needs.
- Intensive Handwriting Programme
- Perceptual Motor Training Programme for Dyspraxia
- Oral Dyspraxia Programme
- Visual Perceptual Training Programme
- Listening Programme
- Intensive Behavioural Therapy Programme
- English & Chinese Dyslexia Reading Programme
- Pictures Exchange Communication programme (PEC)
- Hanen Speech Programme
- Social Skill Training
Other Services We Render
We would be glad to provide you with our Customised Therapy Services that tailor to your child’s needs.
Call us today and check our professional Therapy